Welcome! We’re glad you found us. While we don’t know what brought you to The Story, we thought you might want to know a bit more about us.
So here’s the deal:
The Story is a church. But the word church can often be unhelpful, as it carries a lot of baggage. We view ourselves as a messy community embracing the call to whole-heartedly follow Jesus, love our neighbor, and cultivate beauty in our world.
There’s a lot packed into that statement, so let us tell you what it means in real world terms:
- The Story is a place where you are welcome, no questions asked. Wherever we go, we bring all of who we are with us—our dreams, hurts, successes, failures, strengths, weaknesses… everything. Experiencing the life and freedom God desires for us requires that we be honest—together—about who we really are. As a church, we know we don’t have it all figured out; and we recognize that welcoming brokenness will create a messy community, but we simply can’t imagine another way to do it.
- We take it seriously when Jesus tells us loving our neighbor is on par with loving God. It’s that important. We also take it seriously when Jesus defines our neighbor as every person who crosses our path. The Story is committed to loving all of our neighbors—rich, poor, black, white, young, old, english-speaking, spanish-speaking, single, married, liberal, conservative, gay, straight, viking, packer, vegetarian, carnivore… you get the idea.
- We also think the call to love our neighbor means we should love our actual neighbor. Where we live—our actual neighborhood—is the first place God calls us to love and humbly serve. With south Minneapolis serving as The Story’s home base, we have a passion to tangibly love our neighbors in south Minneapolis, and in the Powderhorn neighborhood in particular.
- God cares deeply about justice and invites people to join him in his restorative work. So you’ll see us involved in our world—both in our local community, as well as in our global community—to humbly serve and boldly work for justice, especially alongside those who are marginalized.
- Finally—and most importantly—we are a community centered on Jesus. You might be unsure about the whole Jesus thing. You might not have much church experience. Or you might have scars from too much church experience. That’s okay! No matter your background, Jesus’ heart beats for you. He’s patient. He will meet you wherever you are but also loves you too much to leave you there. And experience tells us when we accept Jesus’ invitation into a new way of living, the beautifully unexpected happens.
We could go on and on, but it’s probably best for you to just come and check us out sometime—either at one of our community table gatherings or neighborhood collectives. In the meantime, feel free to explore this website and find out more about us. Just know that we’re not perfect, so we hope you’re not either. And we don’t have it all figured out, so if you think you do, this might not be a comfortable landing place for you. Finally, we are a growing community but we know that we’d be even stronger with you joining us.
We hope to see you soon!